Another day, another recipe. This time, I’m bringing you a spin one of my favorite recipes that my mom used to make for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas: sausage breakfast casserole.
I am swapping our her bread pieces for hash browns, swapping the pork sausage for turkey sausage, and of course, swapping the 1lb of cheese for cheddar cheese powder from Hoosier Hill Farms. It’s the easiest breakfast meal prep I’ve posted yet!
This casserole is bursting with flavor, especially from the pepper and onions in it, and is sure to hit the spot with some hot coffee before you start your day. The whole dish cost less than $12 to make, and boasts a hefty 12 servings. Coming in at under 150 calories and full of protein, you’ll love to make this part of your weekly meal prep.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 32oz egg whites (buy the carton of egg whites, don’t separate them yourself)
- two whole eggs (for binding purposes)
- 32oz frozen shredded hash browns (keep frozen)
- Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles
- 160z frozen green/red pepper & onion blend (keep frozen)
- 4tbsp Cheddar Cheese Powder from Hoosier Hill Farm
- Large glass baking dish
- 1/2tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In large bowl (I used a Kitchenaid bowl & mixer), combine all ingredients except for cheese powder. Mix for 90sec and then slowly add cheese powder.
- Mix in black pepper and stir for another 60sec until all ingredients are acquainted. (No salt needed for this, the sausage already has it)
- Pour egg mixture into glass baking dish and place in the oven for 45-60min on the middle rack.
- Once the 45min mark hits, check periodically with a knife by inserting it into the center. When the knife comes out clean, it’s finished.
There you go! A child could make this, so you can too. Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments! Check the macros below.